St. Jude the Apostle Catholic Church
9150 Highland Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70810
(The corner of Highland Road and Gardere Lane)
phone: 225-766-2431; fax: 225-766-0722
Parish Ministries-Spiritual Life
- Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament
- A commitment to spend time in prayer in our parish chapel in the presence of
the Blessed Sacrament. Members of this ministry pray together each Tuesday
evening between 6:00-9:00 PM.
- DMA (Don't Mention Age)
- For parishioners 50+ years. Mission of this group is to support one another
socially/spiritually, and to assist shut-ins. Activities include potluck luncheons, bus trips, prayer services with brunch, Christmas party, and preparing Christmas and Easter bags for the homebound.
- Faith Sharing/Small Christian Communities
- Faith Sharing/Small Christian Communities are offered to support one’s spiritual life and to provide understanding and formation in Scripture, our Christian tradition, and our Catholic beliefs. Groups offer an opportunity to meet together in small group settings for prayer, reflection, and thoughtful discussion using prepared materials. On occasion the members of the groups will meet together as a group for ministry outreach and to enjoy fellowship.
- Family Life Ministry (FLM)
- Families with young children share in social and spiritual activities.
They also take part in service projects in the parish/community. 2012-2013
activities: Pancake Breakfast, August 11; Living Nativity/Religious
Crafts, December 2; Marriage Speaker/Evening with Dinner (Babysitters provided),
Jan/Feb; Brown Bag Lunch Project, March. Email:
- Marriage Encounter
- Couples gather to enrich good marriages through improved communication and Catholic values. The format is spiritual, relationship building, and social. This ministry hosts an annual marriage anniversary celebration and Mass each February.
- Prayer Line
- Brings people of St. Jude together in prayer for the needs of fellow parishioners or anyone requested. Prayer requests are called in and passed on to other members who pray for those needs at a time of their own choosing.
- Spiritual Direction/Formation/Dream Groups
- Spiritual Direction is available in two different formats: individualized and dream/spiritual direction groups. Spiritual direction in both forms allows one to have insight into one’s growth in their relationship to God. God does speak to us in our dreams. Today, dream work is a part of the recognized skills of spiritual directors. God can speak to us through our dreams and the dreams can become a springboard to prayer. In the New Testament, the word “dream” appears 7 times, “dreams” one time, “dreamed” one time, and “dreams” 21 times. In our sessions at St. Jude, we learn how to work and to pray with them by using the dream or the scriptures that come to mind for a particular dream.
- Tuesday Evening Timeouts
- Opportunities for prayer and fellowship for parishioners and families of all ages; occurs during Lent, each Tuesday evening (except during Holy Week), beginning with Mass at 5:30pm, including a guest speaker and a soup and bread supper. Opportunities for volunteering include: cooking, serving, setting up tables and clean up following event. Contact: Charmaine Biossat, 766-2431.
- Vocations Committee
- Promoting vocations to the priesthood and religious life through organizing and directing the following programs: Parish and School education and awareness, Traveling vocations statue, Eucharistic Adoration and Parish Prayer.